User stitch libraries created in version 3 have symbols based on vector images. They still have a file extension of .smlib but are listed separately from any libraries created in version 2. A new method of customising the appearance of stitches is introduced in version 3.
Version 3 library changes
As user stitch libraries created in version 2 can no longer be edited it is recommended that you migrate these to the new version 3 format. This will convert the stitch symbols to the new svg format.
Changes to existing stitches
We received feedback from users that there was inconsistency in version 2 in the width of stitches. For example, the Estonian gathered stitches were all 1 column wide despite the fact that they consist of multiple stitches. Hence we have decided to adopt the convention that each stitch should span the number of columns that is equal to the number of stitches on the needles after a stitch has been worked. For example, a '3 into 7 gathered stitch' should take up 7 columns in a chart rather than 3. The rationale behind this is that it would reduce the number of no-stitch squares required in a chart and that a consistent approach would be easier to chart and for knitters to understand.
Stitches that are affected are;-
- All Knit Increases that result in more than 2 stitches. This is all except the 'make 1' stitches.
- All Purl Increases that result in more than 2 stitches. This is all except the 'make 1 purlwise' stitches.
- All Yarn Over Increases that result in more than 2 stitches. This is all except 'yarn over'.
- All Estonian Gathered stitches.
- All Estonian Increases.
- Two Brioche stitches: 'brkyobrk' and 'yf sl2yo'.
The migration process seeks to minimise any changes to existing stitches and charts. Hence the original stitches are still in the version 3 libraries. They are unchanged except that the word 'old' has been added to the end of their name and abbreviation. This is to distinguish them from their new variations. The original stitches have also been moved to a palette drawer called 'V2 old stitches'.
New stitches added
Following requests from users the following new stitches have been added in version 3;-
To the Knit Increases drawer;-
- Left-leaning lifted increase
- Right-leaning lifted increase
To the Purl Increases drawer;-
- Left-leaning lifted increase purl
- Right-leaning lifted increase purl
To the Knit Decreases drawer;-
- Twisted k2tog
- Twisted ssk
- Twisted cdd
- Bunny outward
- Bunny inward
To the Purl Decreases drawer;-
- Twisted p2tog
- Twisted ssp
To the Miscellaneous drawer;-
- Catch strands
- To the Brioche Stitches drawer;-
- Brioche 4st increase
- To the Beaded Stitches drawer;-
- Hook bead
- Cdd bead
Please sign in to leave a comment.